Thursday, September 20, 2007

George Orwell's "Politics and the English Language"

My neighbor, Beth, and I discussed modern politics today. I mentioned that I've stopped watching the news and following them online entirely since I returned from Iraq, having lost my stomach for lies and inaction. She kindly directed me to an article by George Orwell that insightfully chastises modern political language, saying that today's "chattering class" (as Maj. Gen. Kelly so deftly calls it -- thanks Dad!) is so full of meaningless identity politics and empty commitment to orthodoxy that it's become unbearable. I read it and see what she means.
http://www.orwell.ru/library/essays/politics/english/e_polit

P.S. It is as hard as it sounds to write how Orwell describes.

1 Comments:

Blogger sarita said...

So, I haven't gotten to finish reading the whole article yet (don't worry, i will.) HOWEVER, this part cracked me up:

In certain kinds of writing, particularly in art criticism and literary criticism, it is normal to come across long passages which are almost completely lacking in meaning(2).

The part about pretentious diction also got a rise outta me. Needless to say, both cracked me up because of our old friend, George.

I love and miss you!

September 26, 2007 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home