Sunday, January 15, 2006

MCT at Camp Lejeune?!

Ten minutes of battery life left...must...post...quickly!

I'm at the airport in Charlotte, NC right now. It's 0645 local time here, and my plane leaves in 45 minutes for Jacksonville, NC, after which point we're driving to Camp Lejeune, NC for Marine Combat Training (MCT) for three weeks. So I'll be out of contact for quite a bit longer (I don't know what wasn't working with my internet for the past week, but it's been driving me nuts). Sorry, Mr. Tedrick.

After 07 Feb I'm heading back to Cali, specifically to Alameda, CA, close to Oakland and San Fran, also known as godless bastions of liberalism. Yay. I bet it'll be fun to be a Marine in the center of America-hating Northern California. Hopefully I won't be there for too long, because as soon as I leave there I'll be back at Twentynine Palms at comm school, about a mile away from my unit, and if I can get through comm school soon enough I won't have any trouble staying with my unit.

Not much new to report, besides I ran into my boot camp buddy Walcott at morning chow, which was terrific. Then I left for a month or so so I'm hoping he's still around when I get back to the Palms. He's heading over around March too, so we'll see.

Anyways, battery's almost out. I'll be away for quite some time, but I'll update as soon as I can.

...update...

Well, we got into Jacksonville, NC, around 7:30 this morning or something, and the cab drivers told us the base was closed so we couldn't check in today, so we went to a hotel instead. At this hotel is free wireless internet, so I now have time to update more thoroughly.

Friday morning we had a formation so "the General" could talk to us. That general turned out to be Major General O'Dell, commanding general of the 4th Marine Division. That was pretty cool. See, there are four divisions in the Marine Corps, the 4th being the Reserves division, and that means he's the commanding officer for a fourth or more of the Marines in the Marine Corps. Pretty much a badass.

Hmm, what else...the Bears game is on in an hour and a half. Most of these guys are Bears fans, specifically my roommate, who appears to be a fanatic, so I'm watching it too. Also, there's a Hooters a block or two away from the hotel, so that's where I'm going to be watching it. Sweet...

Pretty much everyone in my platoon has a PSP (one of the portable Sony Playstation handheld thingies, for you geriatrics), and they're pretty swell so I'm thinking about picking one up after I get out of MCT. I'm just not sure if I want to spend money on something big like that, since I'm banking on getting a new(er) car upon my return to the real world. But, it's only $250 and it has wireless internet capabilities and functions as a video player, and they sell almost all new movies in PSP format, often for cheaper than DVDs, so it might be a worthwhile investment. We'll see.

I can't come up with a whole lot else worth mentioning right now, other than that I've been coming up with a few decent ideas for the story I've been working on for awhile. The problem is I hardly ever have time to develop those ideas into something good, and whenever I feel like I've got enough to start actually writing, all those ideas count for naught when I'm unhappy with my writing style, or lack thereof.

Anyways, I've got stuff I can pretend to be doing so I don't have to keep writing this post. Out.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am FIRST to post comment!

No need for apologies Roger. I just was trying to help you understand how important the BLOG is to those of us who care deeply for you.

At MCT, keep your eyes and ears open, and your head down.

Was the General's speech inspiring?

Be careful out there.

January 16, 2006 11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Darling =) Sorry I haven't posted until now but I figured I should and that way all teddy relatives are the only ones to have posted. HA! Triumph! Anywho, I don't know how many times I can say just get your ideas down no matter what you think of the style. You can always go back and change that later, that's why there are never first drafts published. But don't lose a great idea just because you don't think it's flowing right. But I spose I can stop babbling now and clean up the apartment a bit before the rest of the teddy clan gets here. So stay safe and try to enjoy it. =) I love you and I miss you lots!

January 16, 2006 3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So were the Hooter's girls not worth updating us over? ;)

I'm glad to hear everything is going well so far. It sounds like they are keeping you busy! That is pretty cool you randomly came across Walcott. I bet that was a nice surprise!

Take care of yourself and keep us informed. Enjoy the Carolina weather (I bet it beats Minn-eh-soh-tah)!

January 19, 2006 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home