Monday, October 08, 2007

NaNoWriMo

November is National Novel Writing Month, and I'm participating in it this year thanks to the encouragement of my good friend and fellow writing enthusiast, Ben Arnold. Essentially, it's a sort of competition (or challenge, really) that was started something like seven years ago where you try to write a novel of about 50,000 words (about 120 pages) in the month of November. It starts at 12:00 a.m. on November 1st and ends at 11:59 p.m. on November 30th. The idea is to just sit down and write and to learn to squelch your inner editor, so you can actually write the whole damn story and not stop yourself out of frustration with the inadequacy of the story. There aren't really prizes per se, just certificates for those who succesfully write a 50,000-word story, but as I said, the whole point is sort of the learning process of writing through to the end, the discipline to make yourself sit down and write every day and not get so flustered that you quit writing. So, Ben and I are trying it this year. I've done some outlining for what I want to write, and can't wait for November 1st to come around so I can start putting words on paper. Also, I've added a sort of mini-blog per Ben's invitation, which I have linked on the top right of the page. Feel free to come around in November for updates on how I'm doing, and offer any encouragement you possibly can. I'm terrible at making myself write through what I believe to be crap writing, so I'm going to need all the encouragement I can get.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roger,

That should be an interesting experience. What kind of topic have you chosen?

Dad

October 09, 2007 5:05 PM  
Blogger Roger W. said...

Dad,
I'm writing a sort of sci-fi/space opera. It's about a young guy in the distant future who finds out the government is increasingly oppressive and that his father is secretly a gun runner for an underground rebellion. Sounds pretty standard, I'm sure, but hopefully that's as much as it shares in common with the rest of the genre. Well, probably not, but we'll see. I won't share much more than that just yet. I'll try and throw out some updates as the month progresses and I hopefully get more and more written. Also, as I said, Ben asked me to start a sort of mini-blog, which is linked at the top of my little links bar on the top right, where I'll be posting short updates every couple of days.

October 10, 2007 12:45 AM  
Blogger sarita said...

Good luck!

October 10, 2007 12:17 PM  
Blogger Joann said...

Roger, Thanks for the info. I am off to buy a camera tonight and then on Saturday we have ONE day off. Some are going to Hiroshima (I go there with a group later) and some are headed for Kyoto.

We have a follow on project to do promoting Japan within 6months and mine will be about art. I think I am taking the day to see more of the art museums, galleries, and try to find a calligraphy lesson or something. I will get back to you later.

Thanks for the advice and let me know if you think of any thing else.

Joann

October 18, 2007 2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home