Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Killing time in Al Asad

I've been in Iraq for 3.5 days now and all we've been doing is sitting around Al Asad, trying to occupy ourselves. Battalion doesn't know what to do with all of us or at least hasn't decided and isn't ready for us, so for the next little while we're free to do whatever we want to do. For me that has been reading, listening to music and sleeping. Our first night after we flew in from Kuwait on a nasty C-130, we stayed in some temporary little huts over by the airstrip, but now we're in a nice big tent with plenty of air conditioning in mainside, close to the px and all that fun stuff. They've got Burger King, Pizza Hut and Subway here, not to mention a really nice chow hall and the MWR, where I'm at, with internet, phones, pool tables, movie rooms, all sorts of fancy stuff. From all I've heard this is about the nicest base in Al Anbar province. For the sake of pessimism, it's worth noting that that means it's only downhill from here.

My chances of meeting up with my boys in Al Quaim are sounding slim. It sounds more likely that I'll either stick around and be on radio watch with Schauer and a few other guys at battalion HQ or maybe I'll get to do convoy security, which is sounding ever more promising a job, if also a touch more dangerous.

We had our first sandstorm yesterday, but sadly I forgot to bring my camera with me today so I could upload the pictures for you. It was a really awesome sight to behold, and it also brought blendy of wind to blow away the heat, so yesterday and today have been pretty nice. I'll try and remember the pictures for next time.

I can't think of much else worth reporting. Hope all's going well back home. Take care folks.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Roger!

Al Asad sounds like a beautiful place to vacation (just kidding). It seems like the only thing it is missing is a golf course. I'm sorry to hear they don't know what to do with you. I guess it is good that they have you sitting around at a nice base and not some hole!

I bet the sandstorm was quite the experience. I can't wait to see the pictures! I hope everything is going well, take care of yourself!

May 09, 2006 4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have some air conditioning. Feel free to call again at 2:00 a.m., I'll try to be more alert and talkative! Alex, why are you posting at 4:33 a.m.?

May 09, 2006 7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Roger!
Sounds like you've got a nice spot to stay at for a while. That's great! I finally looked up where you're staying, the Airforce Base sounds Bad ass! They had some maps and picture on some different websites and even some pictures of a sand storm.
Take care of your self and if you get a chance feel free to call again, i'm in class on mon, wed and fri from 1130 till 145 then tuesday and thursday from 230-430.

May 09, 2006 11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pops,

I work at a company that runs 24 hrs/day, had to run some tests early this morning, and had some downtime so I thought I'd check Roger's blog. I'm a nerd, I know.

May 09, 2006 11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey roger, good to hear you made it safely, especially with the c-130, i heard from a guy i work with that those planes are only good for jumping out of! hope you'll get to meet up with the rest of your guys soon,
take care!

May 09, 2006 4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roger,

If you end up doing convoy security, just remember: keep your ears on, and look out for Smokey Bear! (I'm probably the only one posting here that's old enough to get my reference.)

May 09, 2006 8:03 PM  
Blogger Roger W. said...

10-4, Big Daddy.

May 10, 2006 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put the pedal to the metal.
Keep the clean side up and the dirty side down.

May 10, 2006 4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have yourself a good day today and a better day tomorrow. Keep the bears off your back and the beavers in your lap.

May 10, 2006 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home