Thursday, May 11, 2006

Pictures and brief update

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/rogerwilley/Al%20Asad/
Today SSgt. Thomas let it slip to me and Schauer that I'm one of the three of us from Straggler PLT going to Hotel Battery, meaning I am doing convoy security. It was a bittersweet revelation for me, because though I've reconciled myself with convoy security and realized that it's a hell of a lot more interesting a job than most of the other dumbass jobs they've been throwing out there, I'm going there with Horner, Houser and Rummens, three guys I don't know very well and at least two of which whom I'm pretty sure I have nothing in common with. Specifically, it's upsetting because I won't be with Schauer, and that really, really sucks. I guess I just always counted on having him around the rest of the time. He's the only one I've been with the whole time since Jan. 1st, and he and I are damn good buds now. So I guess I'll just have to get used to seeing him from time to time and then catching up with him when we get back to 29 Palms. We (as in the lot of us) will definitely be doing an Iowa/Illinois Colleges tour of all our respective colleges when we get back though, and he only goes to Western so it's not like he's too far. Not to sound like I'm in love with him or anything. But he's my boy, you gotta understand. Anyways, so yeah, convoy security I'm happy about, not being around Schauer I'm not. That's all, I'm out.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does convoy security mean you'll be staying at Al Assad, or what? Remember, focus on the front sight!

May 11, 2006 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roger, I just looked it up. Hotel Battery is based in Richmond, Virginia. You'll be spending time with real men, Virginians! Remember General Armistead, "All right now, boys,for your wives, for your sweethearts, for Virginia! At route step, forward,ho!"
Don't fret, you'll have an awesome and interesting time. Let us know if you're mailing address will change because of this new assignment.

May 11, 2006 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Roger,
I"m a bit confused about what you'll be doing. Are you going to be back in the states? or are you going to be doing security for some one from the states? (Sorry I'm kinda lost on this one)
Take care!
-Freel

May 11, 2006 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, freel, I didn't mean to confuse you. What I meant by in my post is where Hotel battery is based. 1st Battalion, 14th Marines is composed of 6 Batteries. HQ Btry is based in Alameda, CA. Btry A, Aurora, CO; Btry B, Joliet, IL; Btry C, Waterloo,IA; Btry H, which is actually part of 3/14, Richmond, VA. C MP Co, H&S Bn, 4th MLG, is based in Dayton, OH. Roger will be doing convoy security in Iraq, most likely Al Anbar province which includes Baghdad, Fallujah, Ramadi,Al Quaim, and others (the so-called Sunni triangle). I simply meant he would be working with Hotel battery which is based out of Virginia. These various portions of 1/14 are all in Iraq, just in different geographic locations. Roger trained with Batteries B & C. These are the units and personnel he is familiar with.

May 11, 2006 8:24 PM  
Blogger Roger W. said...

Very well said, Dad. I couldn't have explained it so succinctly myself. And yes, my mailing address will change and I wouldn't advise sending anything to the old one. Sorry about that. I'll probably be here another day or three before they get the four of us a flight to Fallujah, where Hotel is right now. By the way, it turns out that Klauer is going to Hotel with me instead of Houser, though that's no guarantee that we'll be in the same platoon or anything like that, so I might not end up seeing him much. But it's a giant relief to know that somebody I've been with all along and am friends with will be doing the same thing and theoretically in roughly the same area.

May 12, 2006 1:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's awesome that you're getting an assignment that is more suited to your interests.

cool pictures. the p.t. shorts are a bit distracting, however...

May 12, 2006 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though I didn't experience it personally, Teddy went through similar situation: training up with one group, then getting transferred to a different group. Work hard at getting along with the new guys. It is important to have folks you can talk to and trust and work with.

Be careful out there.

May 12, 2006 6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roger and Roger's dad,
Thanks so much for explaining that too me. Now I think i understand what's going on. Enjoy the new assignment Roger!
-Freel

May 12, 2006 10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lcpl Willey,

I just located your blog and was surprised to see the pictures of you with our son Lcpl Schauer. He told us about the sandstorm and we're glad to see your pictures of it. I'm sorry to hear you were reassigned to another company and were split up with Chuck. Hope you guys manage to get together again. Keep safe.

May 30, 2006 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home