Sunday, September 24, 2006

Big news for you

I went on a mission last night that was unnecessarily long (we could have driven to the same place in a quarter of the time if we could take the direct route) and painful. When I returned (around 4:30 a.m.), I found out that I'm on guard this week. Any other time, being on guard would be news but not big news. Finding out last night that I'm on guard this week means that last night's mission was my penultimate mission, leaving only our trip from here to our flight out of Iraq, and we're just along for the ride for that one. So essentially, last night was my last real mission.

For you, this means that the danger for me is basically over and you can stop worrying. That final mission, we'll be riding in the back of well-armored vehicles along a pretty dull road, then jumping on a plane bound for the safety of Kuwait. From now until then I'm on base, and the only danger here is incoming mortar rounds, and that danger is miniscule.

For me, I don't know what to think. It was a bittersweet surprise. Of course, it made me extremely excited because it meant that the end was in sight and I'd soon be back in the States and soon thereafter back home to my loved ones, but it also came unexpectedly and I didn't have time to prepare myself for it. There was no pomp, no celebration on my part, since I didn't even realize it was my last mission until it was already over. I had no opportunity to relish it, and there are certainly things I wish I could have done while over here that I now will certainly not be able to do. Regardless, it's very exciting.

In related news, we cleaned the heck out of our room tonight. We are having field days so often that it's no longer a special occasion. For instance, tomorrow is Monfieldday and the day after will be Tuesfieldday. It has gotten absurd. But this one was still special in the fact that we were preparing the building for its turnover to our replacements. I threw out a HUGE amount of stuff, which for those of you who know me well is a tremendous undertaking for me. I'm a packrat. In fact, I ended up actually picking up something that wasn't mine, but it was a book I wanted and I think getting new books is always a good thing. In this case, it was Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose.

I was encouraged by your reactions to my last post. I reckon that when I get back and no longer have as much purpose for this blog, I may use it to lie prosaically for your amusement.

Time to go, zai jian.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job.

We'll be waiting for ya.

September 24, 2006 5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Roger.

There was a story teller on NPR yesterday and she pointed out that it's the stories of our lives that get passed on, not the bare facts. Thank you for sharing your story with all of us these past few months.

Take care.

September 24, 2006 6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roger,

No more missions? You still need to stay alert. Pay attention and keep your wits about you, because it is a dangerous place out there.

Love,

Dad

September 24, 2006 7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!! We're counting down the days Rog...

September 24, 2006 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rog,
What good news! I am sure there will a lot of adjusting to do as you prepare to leave and then actually do it. Have patience with yourself and take good care in the meantime. I am very proud of you for throwing stuff out, perhaps you could hang on to some of that sentiment so that when you get home we could look at your closet...?
I'll be looking forward to your new stories from the next chapter of your life.
See you soon,
Sarah

September 24, 2006 9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Roger, good to hear you'll be home soon. Coincidentally i actually just finished reading 'the band of brothers' by steven ambrose just last week. good book
take care
Ryan

September 25, 2006 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roger,

If you have some free time and access to a camera, take some pictures! I know you haven't posted pictures since Al Assad because of the slow internet feed, but I would certainly be interested in looking at them when you come home. That would dovetail into Mrs.T's "stories of our lives that get passed on."(I think that was a terrific post, Mrs. T)

Love,

Dad

September 25, 2006 5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mr. W.

My Grandpa served in WWI as a cook in the army. I can't tell you the exact dates or units or generals he served under. But, I can tell his stories concerning an M.P. thrown off a bridge; putting pepper in a general's cherry pie; and defending himself with a large iron skillet.
My father-in-law (known as Opa to Roger) served as a Marine in Korea. He has started telling his stories just in the last couple years. Some are humorous (angry farmer with a machete) and some are not (the reason my husband is NOT named Danny).

September 27, 2006 7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment is a little late, true, but I needed to applaud the use of Chinese. Well done :)

October 01, 2006 2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home