Thursday, September 21, 2006

Bur-ba-dur

Not much new here, as usual. Regardless, I will put you through a rather dull update.

I keep seeing this one doc, who I never really knew back at Bravo, around Camp Fallujah, and a few weeks ago I started up a conversation with him. He was very friendly and all that. Well anyways, it was just a chance encounter and I never had spoken to him before or since, until this afternoon. I was at chow this afternoon, and saw him as I walked past his table at the chow hall, and wasn't sure if he'd even recognize me, but he did and I said hello, but then he called me by name and told me that he'd checked for me to see about the Bravo Marine Corps Ball and all this. Point is, it turns out it's the night before Hotel's, so I probably won't be going.

On a related note, I happened to be in Al Asad the other day and talked to a few Straggler Platoon buddies, including one of my fellow Charlie Marines, Butteris. Well, he told me that Charlie is in fact planning on having a ball on the 11th of November, the week before Hotel's. So I might be going to two balls, one of which I could take a real date to, even if it would be pretty boring with only about twelve of us there, plus I guess the I&I staff and probably a handful of older VFW types. We'll see...I'll try and get more details on it once I get to 29 Stumps.

And still speaking of balls, I have yet to reserve a room or secure tickets for Hotel's ball. Considering the amount of trouble I'll be taking to get there (that is, driving for something like 16 hours), I should probably cement those plans soon.

After watching a couple movies recently related to rock and roll, I splurged on both those movies' soundtracks and then three Led Zeppelin albums on Amazon.com. Now I can't wait to get home so I can enjoy them all.

I need to start sending everything home. I'm planning on having just a couple changes of clothes and a few books to keep me busy when I leave for the States. So that's gonna take some doing.

Well, I'm out of time and things to write about, so I'll take my leave for now. Hope to see you all as soon as I get back.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roger,

It sounds like things are super exciting over there right now. Or not. Are you counting the days? Everyone here is excited to have you back. We'll see you soon!

Love,
Alex

September 22, 2006 6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roger,

Which one is Bravo? I lose track of all the Marine designations.
I can imagine you have a lot of stuff to send back. I know your Mom and others sent a lot of foodstuffs, but I sent mostly books; I would like to read some of those books, so don't leave them there, ok?
Wouldn't it be cheaper and quicker to fly to Hotel's ball? I realize we have you to thank for cheaper gas prices lately, but that still has to be expensive.

Love,

Dad

September 22, 2006 8:37 AM  
Blogger Roger W. said...

Alex,
Yes, I've been counting the days for like two months now.

Dad,
I've never felt right throwing away books of any kind, and have no intention to start now. Also, it could potentially be cheaper to fly, I don't know. But I have one or two other Marines to share the costs with, and we're in the mood for a road trip, so we'll see.

September 22, 2006 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home